Each refill pack contains 7 Filters. The HELIX.iso™ Mask provides a washable, easy breathing and comfortable re-usable mask body into which the special HELIX.iso™ filter is placed. HELIX™ is a scientifically developed and proven respiratory filter system developed in New Zealand to protect respiratory health. It has even been chosen by NASA for critical life support in the next manned exploration to the moon and beyond.
The HELIX.iso™ formula has been developed for COVID 19 to allow a system of replaceable elements to be used in a washable mask accessible by the public. A key feature of Helix™ technology is its extremely low breathing resistance, which makes it easy to wear. Users fit and replace the filters as often as possible. Contaminated filter elements must be disposed of safely and should not be re-used, and the mask body should be washed regularly. When fitted correctly, the mask with HELIX.iso™ filter provides greater than 80% protection from 0.3micron particles and light breathing duty. This is not an N95 mask. N95 refers to a safety standard for industrial use. These are also becoming available, but are typically more expensive, uncomfortable for prolonged use and unsuitable for people with breathing difficulties, under exertion, or for children (N95 is an INDUSTRIAL standard for adults in the workplace).
The HELIX.iso™ is designed to provide a basic level of protection in the following ways:
- To have an efficient mask that fits around the face and has a good seal.
- To provide a filter that is very easy to breathe through – essential for weak, sick, or very small people.
- To have a filter which will capture >80% of health-threatening particles at normal resting breathing rates with one layer.
- To provide a replaceable filter element which can be fitted by anyone, without damaging the element, without throwing away the whole mask.
- To provide an economical solution that sewing companies, community groups or individuals with a sewing machine can make themselves.